Teenager ‘pierced by syringe while trying on pyjamas’
Another shopper struck by needle while looking at bras
Four syringes found in total at Georgia Walmart store
By Mark Duell
Last updated at 11:09 PM on 30th November 2011
You can buy almost anything cheaply at Walmart stores – but one thing you don’t expect to find hidden inside new clothing is a syringe.
A mother claimed her daughter was pierced in her finger and left foot by a syringe while putting on a new pair of pyjamas bought at a Georgia store.
Five days later another Walmart shopper complained she was struck by a needle while looking at bras, Bartow County authorities said.
‘Anytime you buy clothing it’s always best to check it and make sure there’s nothing in there to hurt you,’ Sergeant Jonathan Rogers said.
Walmart has done its own searches and found other syringes but no suspects have yet been identified, reported the Daily Tribune News.
The woman pricked when she reached inside a boxed bra to ensure it was the right size was identified by local news sources as Patricia Headrick.
‘It’s a waiting game right now,’ Mrs Headrick told WXIA. ‘I’m scared to death,’ she said, adding that she is worried she could have contracted HIV.
‘I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m shocked that someone can do this to someone. It’s mean. I don’t understand why someone would do this.’
‘It’s a waiting game right now. I’m scared to death. I don’t know what’s going to happen’
Syringes have been found inside clothing items on sale at the Walmart in Cartersville four times in recent days, reported the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
The syringes have been sent to investigators for further tests. Mrs Headrick has gone for tests but will have to return for more in six months.
She paid $1,300 for medicine to avoid an illness, but claimed Walmart would not reimburse her until a criminal investigation had been completed.
Walmart has not yet commented. The woman’s daughter pricked when putting on her pyjamas, who is 14-years-old, was treated at home.
A syringe was also found in a pair of Hello Kitty socks and a pair of trousers – but neither of those incidents resulted in any injuries.