Terrorists linked to Al Qaeda ‘plotting cyanide hand-cream attack’ as MI5 mounts biggest operation since Second World War
Lethal plot discovered on website with links to the terror group
3,800 MI5 agents will be deployed to tackle terrorism during event
They have set up computer system to monitor and gather intelligence
Agents will perform checks on 540,000 people and militant groups
By Emily Allen
PUBLISHED: 09:12, 26 March 2012 | UPDATED: 11:20, 26 March 2012
Terrorists linked to Al Qaeda are plotting a cyanide attack during the London Olympics it has been claimed.
It comes as it has emerged every single MI5 agent will be deployed during the event to keep the public safe.
Details of the alleged lethal plot were posted on a website with links to six terrorists involved in the infamous terror group.
All 3,800 agents will have to work throughout the Games and annual leave has either been cancelled or severely restricted
One man, who calls himself Abu Hija Ansari, said cyanide poison should be mixed with handcream so it can be absorbed into the skin.
Writing in Arabic he wrote instructions on how anyone planning the attack should wear ‘medical gloves’.
He allegedly said: ‘Through skin: 1 – cyanide, 2 – skin cream’.
‘Mix the ingredients. The skin cream will open the pores in the skin and speed up the absorption and effectiveness of the poison.’
Meanwhile, a second extremist wrote on the website which The Sun was able to access: ‘It is a good idea and you need to plan well.’
M15 (headquarters pictured) will carry out checks on more than 540,000 people in the run-up to the event
She went on: ‘It’s time to prepare for the event, as once again they are interfering with innocent Muslims.’
Meanwhile, MI5 is planning its biggest operation since the Second World War with counter-espionage agents quitting their day jobs to focus on tackling terrorism during the event.
All 3,800 agents will have to work throughout the Games and annual leave has either been cancelled or severely restricted.
MI5 director-general Jonathan Evans said the terrorism threat level remains ‘substantial’ during the Games
MI5 has set up a new monitoring and intelligence gathering system especially for the event which has been in place since October.
The security service will carry out checks on more than 540,000 people in the run-up to the event, which begins on July 27 and runs until August 29.
Athletes, their families, officials, the media and workers will all have to be vetted for the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
They will also perform checks on militant groups and liaise with foreign intelligence services, the Independent said.
The cost of the security service’s Olympic operation as risen to £1billion.
It is not known if the security service has uncovered any terrorist plots, however, there is said to be ‘chatter’ among jihadist groups.
The Games, at Stratford, East London, will involve 14,700 athletes from 205 countries competing in 26 sports.
The event will be staffed by 20,000 people across all 34 venues, including the 80,000-seat Olympic Stadium.
Last week MI5 director-general Jonathan Evans briefed the Cabinet on the terrorist threats facing the UK in the run-up to the event.
He said the terrorism threat level remains ‘substantial’.
Police officers taking part in a search exercise at the Olympic Stadium. The MI5 security operation is costing £1billion and the terrorism threat remains ‘substantial’
As well as MI5 agents on the ground, surface-to-air missiles will be deployed to protect the Olympics to combat any threat from the sky.
They are part of the armoury available to guarantee safety and are being put in place in case terrorists try to fly an aircraft into a venue packed with fans.
A Boeing E-3 Sentry will also be used to guard against threats during the Games. The £179million plane enables armed forces to find, target and neutralise threats from land, sea or air from hundreds of miles.
Scotland Yard said it had no information on the alleged cyanide plot.
A spokesman for the Home Office said: ‘The focus of the Government and everyone involved is to deliver a safe and secure Olympics and Paralympic Games.
‘We are working to a robust and comprehensive safety and security strategy. We want to reassure everyone that we will leave nothing to chance in our aim to deliver a Games that London, the UK and the whole world will enjoy.’