Worker smuggles fake bomb past TWO checkpoints into the Olympic Park… just hours before stadium officially opens
A site worker took the dummy device into the Stratford stadium after he noticed security flaws
The fake Semtex device got through two checkpoints and was in full view of guards
It was wired like a bomb and had a ticking clock but still went unnoticed
By Pamela Owen
PUBLISHED: 10:06, 6 May 2012 | UPDATED: 10:19, 6 May 2012
A fake bomb smuggled into the Olympic Park stadium has exposed massive security flaws after the dummy device got through two checkpoints.
A site worker carrying the fake Semtex device was waved through by security staff as he carried it on the floor of his digger, only hours before the stadium officially opened.
The revelation will raise security fears after the construction worker was asked to take the ‘bomb’ into the stadium by The Sun on Sunday.
A military band plays during the official opening of the Olympic Stadium. Just hours before the ‘bomb’ had been smuggled through
The construction worker left the site in his digger and returned with the package. Wired like a bomb with a timer, guards on the site failed to notice it.
Once inside the park the man, whose identity has been protected, openly took photographs holding the package.
He took it to the athletes’ village and past the velodrome before posing with it for a photograph in front of the stadium.
The construction worker, who has been on the site for several years, said he is only ever searched once in the morning.
After that he is able to come and go from the grounds without being checked again.
He said he became worried about the lackadaisical approach towards security and decided to contact the newspaper so something could be done about it.
‘I can meet anyone on the outside without anyone knowing and bring anything inside without anyone checking.
‘If I had terrorist connections I could be bringing in explosives, chemicals, anything at all,’ he said to The Sun on Sunday.
The ‘bomb’ was made for under £25 and included three sheets of plasticine to resemble plastic explosive, copper wiring, a mobile phone, a nine volt battery and an alarm clock.
The pieces were all wired together, the clock was ticking and the components were all placed in a plastic container.
The worker then put the ‘bomb’ on the floor of his digger after he’d left the site. On his return to the stadium it was in full view of guards on the floor.
At the first checkpoint where cars are meant to be stopped and searched he was allowed to pass through.
The worker said he was concerned about security and wanted to ensure the Games were safe
Locog said they would be tightening up security now that the stadium was officially opened
The digger was also waved through the second check point where security barriers were already raised.
Here six security staff moved out of the way and continued their conversation as the digger carrying the bomb drove past.
The man, along with other staff, was properly vetted before he was given the job.
Tory MP and security expert Patrick Mercer said this was exactly the type of tactic used by the IRA in the past and added that he hoped some lessons had been learned from the exercise.
Spokeswoman for the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games, Helen Holman, said that security would automatically be tightened now that stadium was officially opened.
‘Clearly a tupperware box containing batteries, a moblie phone and some loose wires would not pose a security threat on a construction site,’ she said.
‘However we will be looking into the allegations to ensure our security regimes are as robust as they need to be at this time.
‘As you would expect our security increases significantly the closer we get to the Games. The Park and the Village will be searched and sealed before it is locked down for Games time,’ she added.
In January a number of dummy runs were carried out by security staff who managed to smuggle at least one bomb into the site at Stratford.
It is believed the threat to the stadium is so severe the Army’s explosive search dogs will be recalled from Afghanistan.
Thousands of troops will also be called to assist police and private security firms to carry out searches on members of the public.