AIDS and Cancer Causing Poppers sold in a Shell gasoline station
Legal high called Liquid Gold is being sold on Shell petrol station counter next to children’s sweets
‘Poppers’ found on sale at a Shell garage in Barnsley, South Yorkshire
It’s a slang term given to alkyl nitrites, inhaled for recreational purposes
Chemicals come in small bottles – often called Liquid Gold or Pure Gold
By MARK DUELL
PUBLISHED: 18:50, 27 August 2013 | UPDATED: 19:40, 27 August 2013
A legal high was found being sold on the counter of a petrol station – next to children’s sweets.
‘Poppers’ – a slang term given to the chemical called alkyl nitrites, which is inhaled for recreational purposes – were on sale at a Shell garage in Hoyland Common area of Barnsley, South Yorkshire.
They come in small bottles – often called Liquid Gold or Pure Gold – and users report getting a short but quick head rush from them, which is caused by a sudden surge of blood to the heart and brain.
Side effects can include chemical burns to body tissues, sickness, faintness or weakness, and even death if swallowed. Possession of poppers is not illegal – but supplying can be an offence.
The gold bottles, which cost around £4 each, claim to be ‘room odourisers’. They have a child-proof cap and read ‘highly flammable’ and ‘toxic’ with the skull and crossbones logo.
But despite claiming to be air fresheners, the bottles were not found to be among the cleaning products in the garage – but alongside other items including e-cigarettes and sweets.
A local resident, who did not want to be named, said she was ‘appalled’ that they were so readily available. The mother of two added: ‘I’m shocked that you can buy something like that at a garage.
‘Children are going to see them and grow up thinking it’s normal to buy them. There should be stricter laws in place to stop legal highs being so readily available and sold in clear view of kids.’
‘I’m shocked you can buy something like that at a garage. Children are going to see them and grow up thinking it’s normal to buy them’
The petrol station’s owner Ayub Mitha said the product was not sold to anyone under the age of 21 and only supplied from behind the counter.
A member of staff, who did not want to be named, later said that the poppers were taken off sale. A Shell spokesman did not immediately return a request from MailOnline for comment.
The news comes one week after Stephen Lowe, 41, was found dead at his home in Barnsley after smoking a legal high called Exodus. Police said it was the first case of its type in the town.
Legal highs are defined by the NHS as ‘substances used like illegal drugs such as cocaine or cannabis, but not covered by current misuse of drugs laws, and so legal to possess or to use’.