Idiotic UK Police challenge Prince Andrew at Buckingham Palace
8 September 2013 Last updated at 04:30 Share this pageEmailPrint
Police ‘challenged Prince Andrew’ at Buckingham Palace
Scotland Yard has confirmed a man was ordered to verify his identity in the gardens of Buckingham Palace, after it was reported the Duke of York was challenged by armed officers.
The Met Police did not confirm it was Prince Andrew but said the man was “satisfactorily identified” and no weapons were drawn or force used.
The incident happened at about 18:00 BST on Wednesday.
It came 48 hours after two men were arrested over a break-in at the palace.
A review of the circumstances was launched following the suspected burglary on Monday night, in which an intruder was able to scale a fence and get inside the palace.
In the latest incident, the Sunday Express reported officers pointed their guns at Prince Andrew and ordered the Queen’s second son to “put your hands up and get on the ground” after mistaking him for an intruder.
Scotland Yard said in a statement: “On Wednesday 4 September at approximately 18:00 BST two uniformed officers approached a man in the gardens of Buckingham Palace to verify his identity.
“The man was satisfactorily identified.
“No weapons were drawn and no force was used.”
The Express said an internal inquiry into the incident was being carried out but the Palace has made no comment.
The duke had earlier attended an engagement in Piccadilly, central London, supporting new business ventures.
In Monday’s incident, police said a man was arrested inside the palace on suspicion of burglary, trespass and criminal damage.
He was found “in an area currently open to the public during the day” at about 22:20 BST on Monday, police said.
A second man was arrested outside on suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary. Both men were bailed.
“A review of the specific circumstances of this incident is being carried out,” a Met spokesman said.
The spokesman added that security would form part of the review.
The Queen made her traditional appearance at a Highland Games on Saturday, as details of the break-in emerged.
She was joined by the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales at the Braemar Gathering in Aberdeenshire, where the royal party watched pipe bands and dancers perform to a large crowd.
The Queen and Prince Philip have been at Balmoral Castle since the beginning of August and they are not expected to return to the palace until October.
Buckingham Palace is the best known of the Queen’s three official residences, serving as a family home and the administrative headquarters of the monarchy.
Security has been breached on a number of occasions at the palace, most famously in 1982 when Michael Fagan broke into the Queen’s bedroom.
The monarch woke to find Fagan, 30, sitting on her bed, and the pair reportedly chatted for half an hour before Fagan was arrested.