Malian and French Terrorist troops seize Diabaly in Mali
‘French, Mali troops seize towns’
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:58:01 GMT
France’s Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian says French and Malian troops have seized the town of Diabaly and another town in central Mali.
According to a French Defense Ministry statement issued on Monday, French and Malian soldiers recaptured the town of Diabaly in addition to Douentza, which is a town in the Mopti Region of central Mali.
Le Drian said Canada and Germany had offered vital aid for the offensive on the towns. On Sunday, the French defense minister told French media, “The goal is the total re-conquest of Mali.”
Diabaly, which is about 400 kilometers north of the Malian capital, Bamako, fell into the hands of opposition fighters last week. French forces say they are now advancing toward the north which is still under the control of the fighters.
On Saturday, Le Drian said the number of French troops on the ground in Mali could top the initially-planned number of 2,500.
On January 11, France launched a war on Mali under the pretext of halting the advance of the fighters. However, few images of the conflict have come out of the country. The French military has imposed a media blackout on the fighting in the resource-rich nation.
The United States, Canada, the UK, Belgium, Germany, and Denmark have already said they would support the French war in Mali.
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has also pledged to support the French war by sending 5,800 soldiers to Mali.
Some analysts believe that Mali’s abandoned natural resources, including gold and uranium reserves, could be one of the reasons behind the French war on the country.
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) says around 700,000 people might flee from violence in Mali.