Pentagon to Introduce Guantanamo Closure Plan on Tuesday
Pentagon to Introduce Guantanamo Closure Plan on Tuesday © AFP 2016/ POOL//Brennan Linsley
23:02 22.02.2016(updated 00:45 23.02.2016) Get short URL
Department spokesperson Lt .Col. Tom Crosson said that the US Department of Defense intends to release a proposal on February 23 to close the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in accordance with a deadline set by US lawmakers.
WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The US Department of Defense intends to release a proposal on February 23 to close the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in accordance with a deadline set by US lawmakers, Department spokesperson Lt.Col. Tom Crosson told Sputnik on Monday.
“We plan on meeting the deadline,” Crosson stated.
President Barack Obama has been attempting to close the Guantanamo Bay before he leaves office in January 2017, despite opposition coming mainly, but not exclusively, from congressional Republicans and state governors.
On Monday, the White House stated the detention center now hosts 91 detainees, but at least ten are considered too dangerous to be set free, according to US officials.
On February 11, House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan said US lawmakers are preparing legal action against the potential decision by Obama to transfer the remaining Guantanamo Bay detainees to the United States.
Obama has previously stated that he has not ruled out closing the Guantanamo Bay detention center by issuing an executive order in case Congress fails to cooperate on the issue.