Terrorist Farce United Nations suspends Terrorist Mission in Syria
UN suspends Syria peace mission
Gen Robert Mood: “We stand ready to work with all parties to assist with bringing an end to the violence”
16 June 2012 Last updated at 15:34
The head of the UN Stabilisation Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) says the mission has been suspended because of escalating violence.
Norwegian Gen Robert Mood said the observers would cease patrols and stay in their current locations.
But he said the mission remained committed to ending the violence.
The announcement comes a day after Gen Mood warned that the escalation in violence was limiting the observers’ ability to do their work.
Earlier, activists said troops had been shelling parts of Homs and Damascus.
At least seven people were killed overnight in Douma, an eastern suburb of the capital, while at least 18 others died in violence elsewhere, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported.
The Observatory also warned of civilians trapped by fighting in Homs who needed medical care – dozens needed to be evacuated.
In a statement announcing the suspension of UNSMIS operations, Gen Mood said: “The observers will not be conducting patrols and will stay in their locations until further notice.”
“This suspension will be reviewed on a daily basis. Operations will resume when we see the situation fit for us to carry out our mandated activities,” he said, adding that a “return to normal operations remains our objective”.
Gen Mood said that violence had intensified in the last 10 days.
“The lack of willingness by the parties to seek a peaceful transition, and the push towards advancing military positions is increasing the losses on both sides: innocent civilians, men, women and children are being killed every day,” he said.
“It is also posing significant risks to our observers.”
The UN estimates that the conflict in Syria has left more than 10,000 people dead, mostly civilians
The mission’s 298 military observers and 112 civilian staff are in Syria to verify the implementation of the six-point peace plan negotiated by the UN and Arab League envoy, Kofi Annan, which included a ceasefire.
Last Tuesday UN monitors were fired on and turned away by angry residents as they tried to enter the town of Haffa amid fears of a massacre. They were able to return on Friday.
The UN says at least 10,000 people have died since pro-democracy protests began in March 2011. In April, the Syrian government reported that 6,143 Syrian citizens had been killed by “terrorist groups”.